Light The Skies Entertainment
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Light The Skies Entertainment

LTS is a family of YT singers that aim to light the skies with their covers!

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Find us at:
LTS 2nd Birthday
LTS All over the world!
Latest topics
» Admin: Lillie
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime30th June 2014, 19:44 by saranghaekpop99

» Super Junior - Sorry Sorry
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime28th June 2014, 15:42 by DustbinHugger

» Free recording programs for PC (Besides Audacity)
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime21st June 2014, 19:23 by TaYuMi

» Wonder Girls - Like This
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime7th May 2014, 14:01 by DustbinHugger

» Miss A - Touch
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime6th May 2014, 13:37 by DustbinHugger

» T-ARA - Number 9
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime6th April 2014, 04:57 by JoYounJi

» [Completed][Japanese]NewS- Towa Iro no Koi
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime3rd April 2014, 20:34 by LaurenLCD

» [CLOSED][MANDARIN] M4M - Sadness
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime19th January 2014, 02:23 by cpaylet

» Name suggestions for a girly J-Culture magazine?
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime14th January 2014, 06:17 by Alisha Amy-Jane

» [COMPLETED] [KOREAN] Super Junior - Sorry Sorry
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime10th January 2014, 12:40 by LaurenLCD

Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

SAY WHAAAAAAAT?
YOU HEARD MEH!
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_lcap14%Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_rcap
 14% [ 1 ]
What was the question?
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_lcap29%Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_rcap
 29% [ 2 ]
Chicken butt
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_lcap0%Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Zelo
Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_lcap57%Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_vote_rcap
 57% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

AuthorMessage
bee
LTS Firefly
LTS Firefly
bee

Female Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2011-11-12

Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- Empty
PostSubject: Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-   Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime10th April 2012, 02:00

Making Mixers Like You *bee's recording guide*
DISCLAIMER: I have been doing this since 2008. These are simply things I've learned that work for ME. Meaning they are my opinions. Don't like opinions? Then stop reading. K thnx bye.

It can be difficult starting out in the world of covers. I didn't have anyone to help me for a long time. I learned by making mistakes (which isn't very fun, mind you). So, as a mixer, singer, and a person who likes to listen to music, here are the things I've learned on mah voyage through~~~~~ These might just be tips for if you're recording and i'm mixing xDDDD

1. Learning the words.
This can be the second most important part of singing besides getting the pitch right. From a mixers point of view, nothing is more infuriating than people singing a song, saying some words and then going "DA DA DA DA *insert other noises that indicate failure to learn the words* " The point of singing is so that people hear your voice, get your message, and the emotion that comes with it. Not only does it make the collab look bad, it makes you look bad. Sometimes, if you say the words but at the wrong speed, mixers can fix it (it takes like 20 minutes for every word you mess up though). Not saying the words at all in completely incurable. Don't do it. Don't join a collab if you don't know the words and aren't willing to learn them.

2. Overlaps.
There are some times when you may have two parts that overlap (which could be the fault of a colorcoder). Never is it helpful to mix these two parts together on your own. Unless you are instructed to, you should probably separate these two parts into different files. Why? Because you never know what the mixer was going to do with it. They might have intended to lower the volume on some parts or you might have mixed it wrong so it comes too early or too late. It's just a lot easier to have separate files.

3. Effects.
No. Unless someone tells you to, don't add effects to your voice. No autotune or reverb or whatever other things you have in there. No thank you. If the mixer wants it there, they'll do it themselves or tell you to do it. Sometimes it's helpful, but 95% of the time it is not. Why? Because I don't wanna sit there and try to get your reverb to match everyone else's reverb when I don't know what program or settings you used. It doesn't sound good unless everyone has it. If you do that, you should ask first.

4. General Singing.
OH MY FRONT DOOR YOU. HAD BETTER. TRYYY! I absolutely cannot stand it when someone turns in some crap parts that they didn't try on. No one has perfect pitch or perfect control or perfect anything. But there is a difference between someone who tries and someone who doesn't. I'd pick the pitchy singer who tried their best over the Ailee singer who gave me crap on any day.

5. Silencing Stuff.
You need to silence stuff. You do, I do. We all do. The mixer will probably silence things on their own, but it's really nice when someone silences things on their own. You should silence any parts that don't include you singing. This isn't really necessary, but you should especially do this if you have your baby cousin in the background and your phone is ringing and your mom is doing karaoke on your head and you had to clear your throat. Those are things you should definitely silence.
4-10-12
phannie. wrote:

another tip i would say for the silencing part is that if your mic background (aka white noise) is very loud, try your best to silence them, but if you don't know how to or when you can't silence them completely, leave all the noises on there so the mixers can do it instead. each mixer has their own way of doing stuff so yeah. and if you gonna silence parts that you are not singing/recording, leave at least 10 sec before and after each of your part so its easier to edit the noises...especially those with extra loud noises >.<

6. Mic Noises.
First, peaking. Not like when you poke your head around a curtain in a hospital. Like when you sing so loud, that part sounds like you sung it so loud that the mic died. You know what I mean even though I am not skilled in the art of description. You can solve this by keeping your microphone not so close to your face. Then there's the thing that happens when your mic is to close to your face and there's a bunch of static every time you say "sh" or "ch" or constant sounds. Just don't have your mic too close to your face or get a pop filter. A pop filter keeps these things from happening, and can be made in your home with simple materials.

I can't think of anything right now, but if I do, I'll add it in and put the date i added it next to it in red so you'll know its new if you care that much
^.^ i just hope i'm helping

Last edited by bee on 11th April 2012, 00:47; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Evonne
LTS Co-Admin
LTS Co-Admin
Evonne

Female Number of posts : 885
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-   Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime10th April 2012, 03:26

nice input bee ;)
now this would be a good guide for those who are still new to recording.
Mihn
Back to top Go down
phannie.
Rainbow
Rainbow
phannie.

Female Number of posts : 1589
Registration date : 2011-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-   Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime10th April 2012, 05:02

nice guide there Bee.
another tip i would say for the silencing part is that if your mic background (aka white noise) is very loud, try your best to silence them, but if you don't know how to or when you can't silence them completely, leave all the noises on there so the mixers can do it instead. each mixer has their own way of doing stuff so yeah. and if you gonna silence parts that you are not singing/recording, leave at least 10 sec before and after each of your part so its easier to edit the noises...especially those with extra loud noises >.<

overall, i totally agree with your guide here.
Back to top Go down
bee
LTS Firefly
LTS Firefly
bee

Female Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2011-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-   Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime11th April 2012, 01:05

thanks guys :)
i'm glad someone thinks its good : D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-   Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide- I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Making Mixers Like You -bee's unoffical recording guide-

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1